Glen Grunwald's Board Blog

Archive of the blog of the former President and CEO of the Toronto Board of Trade.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Yes, it's true ...

I announced today that I’ve accepted a front office job with the New York Knicks.

Believe me, this was not an easy decision. Among other things, I have had a really rewarding and fulfilling time here at the Board of Trade. It’s not often in life that you get to do a job where you know you are contributing to something so important.

However, I just could not pass up this opportunity to get back to the sport that I love and to rejoin my old friend Isiah Thomas in the NBA.

I’m very proud to have been involved in the Board and to have worked with such outstanding volunteers, business leaders and dedicated staff. They’re really great people and I’m going to miss working with them.

Most of all, I’m proud of the progress we made together in helping make Toronto a better place to live, work, invest and raise a family.

We’re still working out details of the transition. I’m not sure what’s going to happen to this blog, but I think the Board of Trade will be doing something like this in the future.

I know that the Board of Trade is going to keep doing great things after I’m gone – heck, I’ve only been here for two of the 161 years that the organization’s been around! – and I wish the Board and my successor nothing but great success in the future.

Finally, I want to thank all of the people in Toronto who have made my role at the Board of Trade so enjoyable -- the supportive notes and phone calls, people stopping me on the street to chat, even people like the Mayor and Premier giving me an opportunity to help make a difference.

As I've said before, there are a lot of good reasons for me to love this place and I’m not going to be cutting my ties here. I will still have my house and family here (my wife’s in her first year of law school and my son Gabe is playing on Stouffville Clippers hockey team – undefeated, by the way!). I’m still involved in projects like HoopDome at Downsview Park. So, I’ll be commuting regularly.

Toronto is a great city and while I have to say goodbye to the Board of Trade, I’m not about to let go of my adopted hometown.

16 Comments:

Blogger Cellar Door said...

Please dont let us Knick fans down. We have been suffering. Last season was horrible. We are the punchline to every NBA joke.

I welcome any new addition to the knicks front office with open arms. I dont know or care what kind of success you have had with the Raptors, I just want you to allow Isiah to coach the team while helping him make the moves needed to win a championship.

Thank you,

A realgm fan.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's hope you do a better job of building an NBA team than "your friend" Isiah

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Grunwald,

As an ordinary citizen of Toronto, please let me congratulate you on your new gig with the Knicks.

You've been and continue to be a class act and a welcome son to this city, and hopefully you can bring some wisdom to the front office of NY.

I for one hoped you wouldn't take the job because, as a Raptors fan, I'd hate to see a turnaround in the fortunes of the Knicks. So don't be too good, ok? If Isaih wants to trade Marbury for Rick DiPetro because "although he's a hockey player, the certainty in his contract may bring some stability to our team" or something, perhaps you should turn the other cheek... ;)

All jokes aside, good luck in the future and I hope you find some time to stick around the Toronto area.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no!!!

I was delighted when you were given the top position at BOT so I was quite disappointed when I heard the news.

Anyway, thanks for your work and best of luck.

PS > The Knicks? An Eastern Conference rival? :(

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck in New York. Glad to hear that your family will be remaining in Toronto and that you think as highly of the City as many of us do. The Raptors always seem to be linked to the Knicks somehow, usually through trades (cant remember off the top of my head how many trades there were with the Knicks), then Isiah, now yourself. Make the best of it, I'm sure many of us in Toronto will be supporting your success as long as it doesn't interfere with our beloved Raps! All the best Glen, don't stay there too long now, ya hear?

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Andy Manahan said...

Glen - all the best in your new posting. We will miss your dedicated leadership.

Andy Manahan

12:25 PM  
Blogger Glen Grunwald said...

Thanks, everyone!

I've been getting swamped with supportive messages, media requests, etc.

Just a quick note to say I really appreciate the encouragement and to promise I'll do my best for the Knicks.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Efman said...

You'll be back Glen.

Thomas has screwed up that team beyond any hope of repair.

Take a leave of a year. When the Knicks fire Thomas in April, you'll be gone with him as his hire....or you will take over the job like you did with the Raptors.

Either way, I wish you well. You are good people and deserve the best.

1:44 PM  
Blogger coach said...

Good luck, Glen. May this mean that you are going to stay in the NBA. The league needs a man of your experience and qualifications
I assume you will be working at the Knicks front office .

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Mike R said...

Congrats GG, you have alot of work ahead of you!
Are you going to continue blogging? I think it would be very informative & interesting to hear about the goings-on in the NYK front office. You could give the Swirsk a great run for best NBA blog!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new role with the Knicks. I wish you luck, just not when you play the Raptors.

I also wanted to thank you for leading the Raptors during the good and not so good times of our still young history. Not only did I become a fan of the team but my wife and I became fans of you.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Peter DeWolf said...

Glen -

Congratulations on the new job.

You have been nothing but a class act in Toronto and the Knicks are very lucky to have you.

The only downside is that you are going to make it harder for me to hate the Knicks.

- Peter

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glen,

Just found out the news and want to congratulate you on your New position. New York is lucky to be getting such a knowledgeble basketball person and great character. I know all all the true Raptors fans appreciate the work you did here and for the city.
Hope you keep comming bck to T.O.

5:35 PM  
Blogger NIKEY said...

It's about time . I often wondered how come you took some time to be away from the game . Finally , a dream job . Big city , big challenge ! I wish you well (but not when NY is playing the Raps) and may you stay in the game from hereon . bASKETBALL NEEDS A GOOD MAN LIKE YOU .

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mr. Grunwald on your new position. I just have one suggestion for you to consider or to pass on to the rest of the Knicks braintrust...

Pape Sow for Channing Frye.

Thank you.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found out about your knew position. Congratulations. As a Knicks fan, it would be great if you keep this blog.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home